We are getting close to the semi-finals of the Inaugural New Voices Competition at Northern Aldborough Festival on Tuesday 20th June!
At stake is an array of wonderful prizes including the £5000 Seastock Prize, the £1500 Yorkshire Music Future Fund Prize and offers to perform at leading festivals across the UK! There is also the opportunity to be assessed by a panel that includes the world-renowned soprano Dame Felicity Lott, leading conductor Christian Curnyn and accompanist and Director of Leeds Lieder Joseph Middleton.
We asked the eight semi-finalist singers what winning would mean to them, what persuaded them to join the profession, and what they listen to when they’re not working. Their answers are thought-provoking and often surprising! Click on their names to see what they have to say about their work.
- Aileen Baker (26), mezzo-soprano
- Georgie Malcolm (29), soprano
- Alexandra Beason (26), soprano
- Camilla Seale (28), mezzo-soprano
- Lea Shaw (26), mezzo-soprano
- Rachel Barnard (24), soprano
- Jack Holton (31), baritone
- Betty Makharinsky (29), soprano